So the 5e rest system never really appealed to me. Here are my changes.
(Unless noted below all aspects remain the same for Short and Long Rests)
- Reduced in length to 10 minutes.
- Now requires 3 hours of light activity and 3 hours of no activity.
- No automatic health gain to maximum.
- Regain 1/2 of total hit dice.
(Added the following new mechanic)
- 1+ days of light activity based on the general condition of the party.
- Condition determined by the DM, but the party is encouraged to logically sway that conclusion.
- "Light Activity" is considered "downtime". Roleplay in a town, staying at a waystop, relaxing at home, etc.
- "Travel" is not considered light activity unless it is under someone else's power. IE, in a wagon.
- Some thing like hunting or camping might or might not be light activity based on the circumstances.
- All spell slots regained.
- All hit points healed.
- All Hit Dice regained.
- 1 Hit Dice added as temporary hit points to reflect a "well-rested state".
- (Certain magical items and abilities might now take a Full Rest to recharge.)